Ok first off. I am a bad person. I wish I was good at communicating, but as I'm sure anyone who has tried to have a conversation with me can tell you, I can't. regrettably my skills in long distance communication are at least equally inadequate, and spending ten days with barely functioning dial up didn't help (Rania and I went down to the South Island and stayed with a different host for ten day, which you wouldn't know because we haven't posted [insert a sad face here]). second point of embarrassment... below is a blog entry, which I wrote most of two weeks ago.
so it rained yesterday and I was left alone at the farm. First I woke up at noon. Second I putsed around online and ate food and talked to the fambly. plan three involved drinking Kentucky straight Bourbon neat while playing spider solitaire and staring out into the rain. which I fancied as a quaint or even romantic way of spending a rainy day with ones self until I realized I was playing spider solitaire and staring off into the rain by myself (Nick points out that to be good at solitaire merits a response of "oh I'm sorry why don't you have friends" rather than congratulations). Plan four was a success. Still wearing my rugby shorts, I donned my rain coat and pull on my gumboots (kiwi for rubber boots) and went to face the rain. Properly dressed I marched down to the river with my (somewhat) faithful companion Frodo (the farm dog [sub note: the cat is named Precious, the ugly rooster is named Dumbledore, and we have discussed renaming the other cat Gollum and Smeegle depending on her mood]. I waded out as far as I could without topping my boots maybe three of four yards in places and looked down and there shining out of the river, like a foreign body, like something apart, was a bright turquoise stone. It was beautiful maybe three square inches and an eighth inch thick. I can see how people could have run off to California and spent tens of years alone panning in rivers. I had so much fun splashing like a kid up stream and down just hoping to see a glimpse of turquoise again. I didn't, but I did find 40 yards of 1/4 inc aircraft cable, 5 stones which looked like they were distinctly different inside, a piece of rusted metal, which I kept for some reason, and a root that looked like it had fallen out of a Doctor Suess book.
I was so careful with my piece of turquoise stone, it looked so fragile. When the other WWOOFers finally got back I quickly showed it to them I was so proud of my self. But
Mary (a very nice person normally) just started to laugh and said something to the effect of "Colin its clearly plastic". I denied it for a bit but as soon as I tried to bend it she became painfully correct.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(66)
-
▼
March
(17)
- Back to Business
- Sigh
- Try!
- Dear Merritt
- One Day Late
- Here we go again
- Change-up
- just a little something
- He's In the Back Line Now...(banjo plays...)
- This is Your Brain on Drugs
- and God said let there be Freedom and it was delic...
- sorry sorry sorry and a river tramping
- Blood Freak
- Podi-Training
- New Colors, Format
- Iron and Spine
- Little America
-
▼
March
(17)
No comments:
Post a Comment