I am back on the chain gang. Back in the gym, back on the pitch. We traveled north to Rangiora to give the Saracens a preseason match today. It was hot as balls. I started for the Div-2 team on the left wing. Our Div-1 side had two professional Japanese players, as well as Sean Maitland and Kade Poki of the Crusaders' backline, and several players from the Crusaders development team. My Samoan friends Lui and Ui both start for this team. It was explained to me that Div-2 teams are left-overs or reserves from Div-1, and Div-3 is the more social division. Then there's Div-4 and Div-5, which are entirely social but still hotly contested, and spend much of their yearly dues on beer. Cool. Team Sardine.
Our sometimes-flyhalf, sometimes center, Elliot drove me to the game today. Along the way I found out that his wife is good friends with and went all the way through kindergarten and grade-school with Dan Carter, New Zealand's most popular athlete and flyhalf for the All-Blacks. We listened to Ice Cube's "Laugh Now, Cry Later" in the car. The combination of rugby and Cube brought crisp wafts of Geezy through the automobile window, which was then promptly rolled up.
We started our game out strong and never let up, basically. It was a thrashing. I missed no tackles, dropped no balls, had five or six good hard runs through the line, set up two tries for my teammates, and scored two tries for myself. After the game their clubhouse had a meeting and we all shot the shit and ate free food and drank non-free beer. My hand stayed fine, but I did not get my favorite physio to wrap it. Got my non-favorite physio to wrap it. Meh.
Good day today, but I am tired as shit. With the addition of games, I am now training 6 days per week.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(66)
-
▼
March
(17)
- Back to Business
- Sigh
- Try!
- Dear Merritt
- One Day Late
- Here we go again
- Change-up
- just a little something
- He's In the Back Line Now...(banjo plays...)
- This is Your Brain on Drugs
- and God said let there be Freedom and it was delic...
- sorry sorry sorry and a river tramping
- Blood Freak
- Podi-Training
- New Colors, Format
- Iron and Spine
- Little America
-
▼
March
(17)
2 comments:
great perfromance nick. set up 2 tries from the wing too?!
you rock.
granada is awesome.
using internet at a cafe so ill keep it rief.
miss ya
Where some picks of rugby man?? I wanna see these hot new zealand ruggers.
Post a Comment