Monday, February 9, 2009
My House in Thunderdome
This where I live. Holla. My house is in the Linwood/Phillipstown area on the edge of Christchurch. It's a nice place most of the time, excepting nights close to the weekend, when the city becomes Thunderdome. It would not approach exaggeration to say that more of the traffic than not on weekend nights in Chch is street-racing traffic. Car modification is an enormous culture here, and the "boy-racers" are a genuine threat to public safety, often making the front page of the papers. The cars are mostly your usual fare, but can range anywhere from spray-painted small classic cars to enormous two-person trikes, with the second rider standing atop a platform on the back. If you are walking at night you will be informed at great volume of certain facts, anywhere from "EYEYYAAAAAGH," to the statement that you are, in truth, a "BIIIIIIITCH." It's good to know these things sometimes, but often I feel a hello should precede these moments of trust and intimate communication. Maybe I'm just southern.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(66)
-
▼
February
(16)
- Listening
- A Linwood Practice
- End of the Day
- Battlestar Galactica is a Dreadful Show, and other...
- How Can I Tell You?
- Where am I?
- Crusaders 19 - 13 Chiefs
- Minnow
- The Akatarawa River
- Upper Hutt + Rain =...
- At Least Thunderdome is Bike Friendly
- My House in Thunderdome
- Oh, Martinborough
- Digging
- You Can't Quit
- I Want to Sleep for Weeks
-
▼
February
(16)
No comments:
Post a Comment