...and Colin's Hurricanes lost, too!
^Crusaders' centers were stellar on the day, often overloading the Chiefs' lines and getting past hard tackling with unbelievably quick handling.
^I am told this is rucking, although I'm not sure because I played rugby at Guilford College.
Seeing the home-game yesterday was a lot of fun. The tickets were only $37nzd, which is about the price of going to the diner in North Carolina if you figure in currency exchange. Seriously, English people live here basically for free. I got to sit about 15 meters from the sideline, almost at the halfway point, because closer seats are cheaper here on account of their not being sheltered. However, it was a beautiful day and sitting closer is always better, in my opinion. I am glad I'll be getting extra rugby instruction, as fans were screaming their heads off at the referee for things I had no idea were even going on. Kiwis take their armchair refereeing very seriously.
I am much more settled now, which is nice because I can go get new (to me) clothes and make my own food, but I have a lot of time on my hands and no real friends to spend it with. I want to find some activities in the area that will keep me out of the house. I am now on the internet often again, which is good sometimes because I'm woefully addicted to talking to certain people, but bad the rest of the time because it allows me to serve my reviled master Anxiety and never have to go out into the evil world that I'm convinced hates me. I went out last night for the first time really since getting to New Zealand, with a couple Englishmen, several Welshmen, and their girlfriends of various but indeterminable nationalities. Wales beat England this morning, but I don't think any of them were done with their hangovers yet. John is a huge prop who was personally offended that I was playing center and not blindside flanker. He said I would have much more fun doing the job of the #6, which he described as "spreading fear." I'm not sure whether he played rugby or just got into large fights with people wearing rugby jerseys. I have much more trouble understanding the Welsh and north English than the Kiwis anyway. It might just be because they're so much drunker.
I am much more settled now, which is nice because I can go get new (to me) clothes and make my own food, but I have a lot of time on my hands and no real friends to spend it with. I want to find some activities in the area that will keep me out of the house. I am now on the internet often again, which is good sometimes because I'm woefully addicted to talking to certain people, but bad the rest of the time because it allows me to serve my reviled master Anxiety and never have to go out into the evil world that I'm convinced hates me. I went out last night for the first time really since getting to New Zealand, with a couple Englishmen, several Welshmen, and their girlfriends of various but indeterminable nationalities. Wales beat England this morning, but I don't think any of them were done with their hangovers yet. John is a huge prop who was personally offended that I was playing center and not blindside flanker. He said I would have much more fun doing the job of the #6, which he described as "spreading fear." I'm not sure whether he played rugby or just got into large fights with people wearing rugby jerseys. I have much more trouble understanding the Welsh and north English than the Kiwis anyway. It might just be because they're so much drunker.
1 comment:
Man that looks and sounds sweet. Unfortunately money works the opposite way here so I will probably not be seeing any rugby live until france or italy. I thought about going to the wales-england match but it would cost about 200 american dollars. Instead I watch it in the pubs that don't play football (soccer) on every single screen (sometimes 12 or more are dedicated to one soccer match, even during 6 nations games). BUt i can't complain, there are some dedicated rugby fans around and i think once i get to ireland (tomorrow) i'll be able to watch more and maybe see a match (leinster, my adopted favorite team, doesn't have any home games soon though).
i wish i was at guilford playing rugby so bad sometimes. they are kicking ass in the weak d3 NC division and it looks awesome. i've been thinking about coming back as a scrumhalf (remember what jako said?) but my ideal position would be outside center i think, especially if i beef up while i'm over here. BUT I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY YET!?! I DONT HAVE CLEATS OR CONNECTIONS... we'll see.
i miss you a lot man. i'm so glad to hear your rugby endeavor is going well. good luck with the friends thing.. i haven't been forced to meet people yet because i've been with friends in london and manchester. tomorrow begins my foray into traveling alone.
keep playing and writing and photos.
cheers mate
MBG
Post a Comment