Saturday, February 21, 2009

End of the Day

It's nighttime here at The Blueberry Farm and Bakehouse sans Mexican Cafe. Colin and I have finished three straight days of mudding and painting. Mary has gone to bed after surviving a cat cuddle attack (hopefully no blood was drawn) by Kudu (we call her Cooter on her bad days. Today was declared a bad day when she attacked Mary's legs twice). She's named after the black spiral on her white back. None of the animals seem to quite get along. The cats (Precious is the other one) generally tolerate each other as long as there is at least 6 feet between them. Yesterday Frodo Barkins knowingly stepped on Kudu and the cats hiss at him whenever he comes near. It's a tenuous peace.

Today the animal drama level was raised to red in the bird kingdom. Colin walked out to get eggs for breakfast but stopped upon finding an upside down rooster in his path. Mandi came out and righted him, only to find he wobbled instead of walked. He was whisked inside to be fed, watered, and warmed back to life by Mandi and Bob (cutest 10 year old of all time). We knighted the rooster Lazarus as he began to hobble on his knees. By 11 am he was walking backwards and by noon, forwards. Our hopes were high! Mandi let him out in the backyard, away from other roosters to let him recoup without challenges to his dominance. But the communal drive of a chook is strong. He escaped only to be rediscovered bloodily wandering around the room Colin and I sleep in. He was dragged back to be washed up and shut in. This rooster was once the leader of the chicken pack here on the bberry farm. Tonight he is sleeping alone on the ground in the backyard with blood all over his face after being beaten up by a bantam (miniature) rooster. When we carried him into the safety of backyard homebase for the second time, he was still off balance and fell over trying to eat. I will hold Lazarus in the light as I go to sleep tonight, but we may be having rooster stew on the menu soon.

Colin tells me the chicken blood is cleaned off my toothbrush, so I guess it's time for bed.

1 comment:

MBG said...

Cock blood on your toothbrush? I should be in New Zealand.

In seriousness, please keep us updated on the status of Sir Lazarus and his plight from the throne to the gutter.. I will kieep him in my thoughts.

And you all as well, I'm missing you from Dublin. I'll have a pint of Guinness in your honor(s).

Love you both. Can't wait to see you in America one day...

Maxwell

Contributors