Friday, February 20, 2009

Battlestar Galactica is a Dreadful Show, and other notions...

So it seems my pensive and curvaceous friend James Blumgart is becoming to the blogosphere what Barack Obama is to hopeful Americans everywhere: a glorious beacon of intellect. But don't tell him I made that comparison. Linked, quoted, and all but showcased here in The American Prospect, old Blummy has put on a lovingly biased and classic (and for me, nostalgic) display of what I call "neosensicalism" in which he "rationalizes" that hallmark U.S. policies of neglect and fairweather friendery toward Latin America are somehow obsolete or, wait for it, "unfair." Who is this guy? And how does he think we get our windshield wipers manufactured so cheap? Is he now going to suggest the Washington Redskins aren't the greatest team in the history of sport just because their strategy and expensive budget don't win them football games, or make logical sense to mere mortals? When's the last time Mexico won a superbowl, Jake? Whatever.

Actually, if you'd like to read a very critical take on the new administration (important, when very few young people have been) and longstanding policies toward our southern neighbors, click the link below and don't forget to follow it to Jake's piece in full. [Jake, I just blogged about a blog that featured your blogging. Do you see what you've become? I've left a revolver and some pills on your nightstand...]

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_archive?month=02&year=2009&base_name=the_latin_american_debate

In more domestic news (for me,) I passed a reaction/quickness test performed on Thursday to determine whether I could play in the inside backs for Linwood. I was in tennis shoes and had to defend a 10m length of "tryzone" against a homegrown U22 center, Mikey, who had the sense to wear cleats to practice. Christ he was quick. I am excited, and upon writing this, miss Mike Sarcone. I also had a sports therapy massage today and learned that most of my injuries are likely due to IT-band stiffness of a major degree, highly-pronated feet, and the tightest calves and lower leg muscles the therapist had ever seen. This makes three healthcare professionals in two hemispheres who have never seen biomechanics in the human body as fucked up as mine.

Tremain Hatch will be cycling down from his chic job at a vineyard in Blenheim to attend the mighty Crusaders' march on Wellington with yours truly in a week's time. For those of you out there who don't attend enough wine and champagne parties to comprehend what I just said, Tre is riding his bicycle for freaking days at a time down from his booze-making gig in trailerpark central to go see the rugby with me this Friday. Life is good. Except I still suck at sleeping.

6 comments:

jinaynay said...

my friends! i miss you all! even nick and his verbose and somewhat pretentious, though witty, ramblings ;)
i was informed only recently of your blog by the dear curvaceous man (ha!) you mention in this post, and though i was dismayed that i'd been missing out for so long, i am grateful for all the would-be bored hours at work that i can now spend reading about your exciting adventures into kiwi land.
everything i've read so far sounds amazing, even the brutality of rugby conditioning, considering your penchant for bad-ass sports-related masochism, nick.
i love and miss you all dearly, and wish you all the best.

MBG said...

Ireland is great. Still no rugby playing for me but I did get to see Trinity COllege's pitch, fucking nice right in the middle of campus, like next to their quad with high posts and everything.

In a week England plays Ireland. I'm not sure where I'll be but I'll be drunk and watching it live. Miss you.

Can't wait to hear about your first game you son of a bitch.

Also, I miss Mike Sarcone.

Unknown said...

awwww, what can i say, i'm missable.

Unknown said...

ps guilford beat davidson

t-rex said...

sick. hey mike.

i dont miss you. i miss what we had.

Ben said...

tell tre i said "hello."

Contributors