Sunday, April 19, 2009
Colin growd up
Several days ago I learned how to use a chainsaw. After cutting rounds for an hour or so a new emotion overtook me, and my mind proposed an explanation for this "feeling": 'I feel like a more complete man'. (Sociolologise that) Now I did not study sociolologie but I did major in being a half-decent-kind-of-guy and I had a chainsaw reving in my ear so I spent the next several hours deconstructing the aforementioned "feeling of complete manhood". First off I will not discus the overly obvious sexist implications of this statement because I had a Guilford education (or most of one) and therefor the girliest movement, or what ever it's called, is hopeless, right Bro. ("sup ladies, just trying to look"). So second off, I know that this was not actually a feeling because the word 'like' precedes the "feeling" (try it "I feel like shit" etc.). I do believe my mind tried to acknowledge a legitimate change in self, even if it expressed itself in an entirely sexist and otherwise false way. For a while now I have wanted to learn how to use a chainsaw and I do not understand why I have not learned until now (my dad has two). At risk of sounding lame or cliche, I believe that using a chainsaw and learning how to maintain it has been a coming of age event for me. there was no defined moment in my upbringing which has formally acknowledged my development as a person emotionally, ethically, spiritually, or academically. Had I graduated from Guilford already maybe the latter of these would be different, but I also use 'academical' in a looser sense. I believe learning how to use a chainsaw in someway marked a critical point in the development of my knowledge base necessary for me to fully support my community as an active adult. Furthermore reflecting the direction I have chosen to take leading into my adult life; I want to work with my hands tangibly calling us back to honest and sustainable ways of living.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Colin,
Campbell=Cobbs specialize in foaming at the brain about creating cutlture with coming of age ceremonies. Yes, they are so very lacking in this culture.
Blessings on your passage,
Patsea
colin thats the first time you used a chain saw??? i learned how to use one a while ago with dad and have used one several times during ff training. I even had to use one to cut a hole in a roof...so suck on that. you may wiegh more but i know how to handle a manly chainsaw.
I am almost crying from laughter.
-Maggles
Post a Comment