Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Off To a Good Start

Had to say goodbye to best friends in Seattle the other day, and another is moving out there soon! My friendship circle is becoming a friendship oval. Whitney took me to play in a 7s tournament north of the city the day before my flight. I scored one try for a random team by chipping it over their winger's head and gathering my own ball. I remembered Derek's chip try versus Clemson a year ago and chuckled. It was great to play for two random teams and get some hits in. My knee's cartilage has torn itself further, however, and I will likely need knee surgery. The verdict is still out on my ankle, but I can run on both for now, so I'm just trying to stretch out a bit after activity.

I sent in my application for health insurance the other day and realized that I need a job that gives it to me, because this shit is unaffordable. You have a dark laugh when you realize the only way to stay healthy as an athlete is by participating in a knowing con. It is understood that the only way this business stays in business is to make more money than it spends; you're basically signing up to give someone more money than you'd spend normally, and accused and victimized and investigated if you ever in fact need the money. Not to mention if you end up needing more money than you put in, you'll have a hell of a time getting insurance later in life. It's very, very silly.

I went to my first Richmond Lions practice today and did very well. I started with the newb side, and after foiling the A-sides plays by running covering defense and making three offensive runs that broke the line and the backfield defenders for would-be tries, the coach replaced the starting outside center with... me. I don't know if this is permanent or just for that practice, but I tackled him three times and he tackled me zero times and dammit, I feel entitled. Thanks to New Zealand for giving me a major boost in my skills. I also have two practices with a Gay/Allied inexperienced Seattle team to thank for giving me the opportunity to work with newer players and develop better communication and teaching skills. I'm feeling very positive despite missing my friends a whole hell of a lot and being kind of isolated.

Tomorrow I'll work on my resume with Roshelle and begin what should be a long odyssey into finding good work and getting my own place.

I think I will continue to use this blog as my facebook replacement, as I'm still enjoying not having that network around. I've been quite surprised with how many good people I was able to keep in touch with without it. I hope Rania and Colin pop in from time to time as well, as this would be boring with one pony in the show. If not, I will just have to be a more interesting person.

Now, to watch Jeeves and Wooster on DVD. =)
Lots of love, and congratulations to a Guilford 7s side who came together with no training and toppled Eno River and Camp Lejeune at the Triad Rugby Sevens.

No comments:

Contributors